'I am simply a 'book drunkard.' Books have the same irresistible temptation for me that liquor has for its devotee. I cannot withstand them.' L.M. Montgomery

'There are no faster or firmer friendships than those formed between people who love the same books.' Irving Stone



Friday, May 23, 2014

The Sea Detective by Mark Douglas-Home



Back Cover:
'Help me, please help me.' It was a young woman's voice, pleading with him. He opened the door, certain that this was the biggest mistake of his life, and there she was, a feral creature in dirty clothes, with hollowed cheeks and scabs on her cracked lips. She told him her name and why she'd broken into his flat. Her young friend had died three years ago, she said. Her body had been fished out of the sea off the Argyll coast. She begged him not to call the police. There's no-one else I can go to.'

It's not the only unexplained death haunting Cal McGill, a part-time PhD oceanography student with a macabre interest in floating corpses. Severed feet are washing ashore on Scotland's beaches and for some reason McGill wants to know if they're wearing trainers. The answer could make all the difference between accident and murder. Then there's the tragedy of his grandfather who was lost at sea, the mystery which sparked his childhood fascination for tracking flotsam across oceans, the mystery he's never been able to solve.


I've been looking forward to this book and it did not disappoint me! There are three story threads and they intersect beautifully. I especially enjoyed the personal family mystery Cal was working through. The storyline about the two young girls brought the spotlight to the sex trafficking trade and was quite shocking and very well woven into the tale. I found myself quite attached to Basanti. Then there is the excellent police procedural line concerning the severed feet and the difficult working relationship between DI Ryan and his DC Helen Jamison. I liked how the author let us in on Helen's internal life as she interacted with Ryan, an arrogant womanizer. I'm hoping Helen will be back in the second book in this series, 'The Woman Who Walked Into the Sea'.



If your interested this new author check him out Here



Peggy Ann

4 comments:

  1. Sounds great, Peggy. My husband and I have a copy. And I am looking forward to reading it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Counts for the challenge! Hope you'ns like it as much as I did!

      Delete
  2. I read this book last year and liked it, especially the main character's visits to the Scottish islands, and then tracing back what happened to his grandfather, a horror.

    I have the second book but haven't felt motivated to read it. This may do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't wait to hear what you thought of it, Kathy. A couple reviews I read on Goodreads said they didn't like it as much as the first. But I'm sure I'll love it

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...